Floating Share Bar Javascript

Floating Share Bar

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Old School Tunes

It's a reasonable assumption that everyone has their personal definition of old school music.  For me personally, I consider everything from about when I could first remember to my first years in high school to be old school.  So that would be 90s music for the most part.  Music from that era has this nostalgic sound to it that instantly takes me back to childhood and makes me almost vividly re-live old memories.  I grew up in a poor, black neighborhood in the Mississippi Delta.  There were 3 primary forms of music being listened to and broadcast whether you wanted to hear it or not.  There was the Blues which was very popular probably with my mom's generation and above.  The other two were Rap and R&B which were very popular with my generation and a generation somewhere between mine and my mom's.  I wasn't any exception to that rule.  I still love a good 2Pac album like 'All Eyez on Me' but for some reason the melodies of the old R&B songs are more nostalgic for me. 

After growing up, going to college, and seeing more of the world, I now listen to a much wider variety of music than I did as a child. Whenever I listen to Rap or R&B though, the music today just isn't the same as it once was.  What do you consider old school?  What creates that nostalgia for you?

1 comment:

  1. The 90's is my old school era but I listened to different varieties back then. I was introduce to country by my father,pop music by a close friend of mine, and classical by my band director. So I grew up listening to all types of music. When I made to college, i felt more at ease with the music from different cultures by other students.

    ReplyDelete

Add your voice